Thursday, April 26, 2007

Best if Used By

Ok, you see that all the time and ignore it occasionally on some products, right? I had a box of "Banquet Dessert Bakes: Chocolate Lava Cake"
and decided to make it last night for dessert. I don't usually do those packaged things, but it appeared to be easy so I gave it a go!

Here's the deal, about 10 minutes into baking, the dessert exploded in my oven leaving the below pictured results.

I called Banquet...My complaint was taken over the phone and someone is supposed to call me back. The lady on the phone asked about the expiration date, and when she discovered the product had expired, she said, "Oh, that's why it says 'best if used by...'." My response was somewhat sarcastic, and went something like this, "It doesn't say DON'T use after this date or it will explode! It just says BEST IF USED BY..."

So, it's BEST if your dessert does not explode in your oven, so I highly recommend looking at those dates, and then the deeper issue is IF a dessert will explode if not used on time, do you really want to eat it in the first place. I mean seriously, whatever chemicals cause the below explosion, are still there when you eat it before the date in question right? Just a thought! I'm staying away from Banquet Dessert Bakes at this point!