Monday, May 28, 2007

The Fast Begins

I woke up today excited about fasting. I have never been excited about fasting. There, I said it... frankly, I have never been good at fasting. I feel grace for fasting for the first time in my life. It is like a kiss from God upon my heart today. This grace that seems to be like a tender cloud over my heart and mind this morning, says to me "Daughter I love you. I've seen your heart and I know your desire. Where you have lacked, I now come in with great grace to enable you to do what you long to do." Another thing this sense of fresh grace says to me is that this fast is incredibly important to God, and He wants me fully engaged body, mind, and spirit. How many times have we entered into fasting with our head alone, and our hearts far behind. I'm not saying the Lord doesn't honor those times of pure obedience, but I am quite grateful for the grace upon my heart as we enter this fast together.

This is my desire- to learn what it truly means to rend my heart before the Lord. I want my heart provoked to pursue Him with intensity. I want the affections of my heart to be changed. I want my heart to be set free from the entrapments that keep me far from Him, and lead me into sin.

(I recommend checking out this reading schedule that our dear friends Randy and Kelsey have put out there to provoke us as we fast together.)