Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Nick and Elia


Each of the kids is developing a special bond with Elia. This post will focus on Nick and Elia, other posts to follow on Taylor and Isabelle:

Nick is almost 15. I think he's an amazing kid! In addition to being one of the most creative people I know, Nick is also strong, kind, and very compassionate. I love this kid! What blows me away is his attentiveness to Elia. He stops everything to spend time with her. He has quickly become one of Elia's favorite people. He can make her smile in a second, and he knows her little quirks so well. He's the best in the family at burping her; sometimes even I resort to passing her off to him so she can get out a good belch!

Yesterday I was blessed beyond what mere words can express to you right now. Nick sat in the chair (above) holding Elia and proceeded to tell her all of the fun stuff they would do together in the years to come. It kind of wrecked my heart, because I really can picture it. Big brother, age 18, comes in the door and little Elia, age 3, runs to greet him. He scoops her up in his arms and says, "Hey LiLi, let's go get an ice cream cone!" Big brother, age 21 shows up at the house for a Christmas visit and LiLi, age 6 greets him at the door with a plate of yummy cookies she has made just for him. He grabs a cookie, wrestles her to the floor, and says, "Come on kiddo, let's go Christmas shopping!"

I love this gift we've been given. This little girl has touched us all in big ways, and today I'm blessed by the way she has touched Nick's heart! I love that after her bath this morning, my almost 15 year old kid gets all googly-eyed, puts down his breakfast, wraps his arms around his sister, and kisses her clean, fuzzy little head and says, "Oooooo, I love you LiLi."

I love you Nick and Elia loves you too!