Friday, June 06, 2008

Satisfy Me

I have been reading "The Shack" out loud to John, and last night the issue of identity was brought up. I've been jolted into realizing that though I know I was created to find my fulfillment in Christ, I have sought to find my identity in many other area.

Here's a quote that shook me up. (This is Jesus talking in the book about how in the Garden before the fall, we were created to be completely fulfilled in relationship with God.)

"Women, in general, will find it difficult to turn from a man and stop demanding that he meets their needs, provides security, and protects their identity, and return to Me. Men, in general, find it very hard to turn from the works of their hands, their own quests for power and security and significance, and turn to Me." (The Shack, William P. Young, pg 147)

I know that far too often I look to my husband to provide what the Lord longs to fill in me. Though I believe that the Lord gives us marriage as a reflection of His Love, it cannot be the fulfillment of His Love.

Lord, today I ask that You would show yourself to me at the Satisfaction of my heart!

"You open Your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. The Lord is righteous in all His ways and loving toward all He has made. The Lord is near to all who call on Him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him; He hears their cry and saves them."
Psalm 145:16-19