Monday, June 02, 2008

More on Summer Reading

I have one child that will read a book happily for large chunks of time- he's cruising through Narnia this summer. I have two that would rather have me read to them. Isabelle is bugged that Taylor has gotten so far in the Narnia series, but she won't sit still long enough to read more than a couple of pages at a time. Nick has a great book that he really is trying to read. He declared today that he can visualize better when I read to him. I think that was a hint.

Read aloud time has always been a huge part of our family time. We have survived many road trips with me reading aloud or by listening to books on CD.
When I home schooled we started every morning out with read-a-loud time.

Now that it's summer and we have more time for read-a-loud time, I would love to hear some of your favorites. Keep in mind, they must appeal to all three of my older children ages 15, 12, and 10. And bottom line, I have to like it!

Here are some of our all time favorites:

Poppy by Avi (and other books in that series)



Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham



Red, Black, and White by Tedd Dekker