Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Grandview Police are Nice

I was going down Grandview Ave. into Grandview the Friday before we left for LA to get a haircut. For those of you from hometown, PA, this is kind of like Main Street.

Anyway, the speed limit is 25 mph. As hard as I try to remember, it just never "feels like" it should be 25mph. It feels more like a 40mph road to me. And that is exactly how fast I was driving. I was feeling just fine at 40mph until a policeman on foot pulled me over. Yep, I said that correctly! Have you ever been "pulled over" by a policeman on foot? He walked across the street toward me, waving his little speed gun. For real he and his buddy were standing on the sidewalk clocking cars.

At first I actually thought he was waving me to turn into the side street because of an accident ahead or something. Not the case.

He kindly told me that I was going 40 in a 25 and asked for my information. I had my license and my OLD insurance card. Oops! No, not oops for me, it actually was good news for me to have an expired insurance card. The nice policeman sat in the back for like 5 minutes writing his little paperwork, only to come up and say that to "save me some money" (yes that's what he said), he would write me up for an expired insurance card because it was "cheaper," and if I could present a valid card to the nice folks at Grandview City Hall, they would "rip up my ticket" (yes, he said that too).

Anyway, I really like the Grandview police and I think they actually like me too!

On a side note, that was the first time that I have ever been pulled over by a police man. And I can still say I have never had to pay a traffic violation!