Friday, April 04, 2008

Just Add More Soap




Recently my husband decided that one thing he could do to help ease some of the load of the housework, is to do laundry. He really was super aggressive and went to town last week, tackling the monster called laundry.

He would proudly announce from time to time the number of loads he had washed. Mind you, he doesn't fold, so the pile kept mounding in the family room on the couch no one sits on. Come on, you have one of those don't you. I bought this couch just to keep the laundry comfy!

At one point he proudly announced, "The laundry's done!" Having done laundry many, many times..... hmmm let me do the math- maybe 5,732 times in the last 18 years..... I thought to myself, "Buddy, the laundry is only 'DONE' for like 30 seconds." I didn't burst his bubble though.

Here's my math:
7 loads/week x the 10 years we've had 3 or more children
5 loads/week x the 6 years we've had 2 or more children
4 loads/week x the 2 years we had no children
AND an additional 3 loads x 3 weeks x 18 years for the weeks in a year that the stomach flu or some other veritable tragedy increases the laundry load from time to time.


So, back to the story

Within a few hours after his big announcement, he walked past the hamper in the hallway, and loudly exclaimed, "HEY, what is WRONG with you people, this thing is half full already!"

I was bragging on John and sharing his new undertaking with a friend. He commented to her about the hamper filling so quickly, and she kindly told him that he was lucky it stayed empty that long.

He then relayed his trick of getting it done quickly, "You just fill the washer really full!"

We both looked at him and our eyes got big! My response to this was, "Ok, no wonder some of Elia's clothes had dried food on them still. I had to throw them straight from the 'clean' basket to the hamper, and I was quite puzzled."

He said, "Oh NO, I just thought if I added more soap, it would all work out!"



I love my man!