Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Little Foxes and Fruitless Branches

We've been taking time each evening to read and discuss the Word with the kids and to have times of family worship. A few nights ago we read Song of Solomon 2:15 "Catch us for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards." We had an amazing time talking and praying together about the little foxes that affect the fruit of our lives. We put our finger on one area we had all struggled with... the issue of "vain imaginations."

Part of our discussion was that as a creative family, the Lord has blessed each of us with great imaginations. This is good! However, the enemy can tend to attack in the area of the mind for that very reason. We pin-pointed things like times when we playing a movie in our mind of what we would say to someone we are angry with if we could, and we called it sin. Playing that movie in our mind is the same as reality to God. The thoughts and intentions of our heart are no different to Him than taking that same action and walking it out. That's a tough one folks!

We talked about pride in the area of the imagination. Imagining things like "what if so and so noticed that I could sing/play really well and wanted me to sing/play on their worship team" or "what if this person thought I was _____ (you fill in the blank)." Dwelling on those "imaginations" to make ourselves feel good is pride.

Part of this fast is about exposing the little foxes that sneak in without being noticed and attempt to destroy our hearts. We really do want them exposed, but it hurts doesn't it. It hurts a bit to say, "I long for the approval of man more than the unconditional acceptance of God" or "I have anger in my heart toward others and I am quick to take up offense." OUCH!

But last night we read from Luke 15 about our Father the gardener who "prunes so that we will be more fruitful." We want Him to do a thorough pruning in our lives so that we will bear much fruit and walk in true humility and love. After Jesus talks about the pruning process He says this, "I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit- fruit that will last."

So we say, "Come Lord Jesus, prune our hearts and expose the little foxes that have attempted to spoil the vine. We want more of you! We thank you for choosing us and calling us friends."