Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Dumping Room

I was cleaning out the "dumping room" this afternoon a little bit. It happens to be the "family room" that isn't really a family room yet because we have no furniture for it. So it has become the room where I have put all the "stuff" that I didn't want to immediately deal with in the midst of dealing with other priorities. There are priority rooms when you move, like the kitchen, the living room, and bedrooms; and then there's the "stuff", the hodgepodge of things you really wish just didn't exsist, but still need to be dealt with. Today I faced the giant. I found much of it was simple garbage! Why do I always end up moving garbage? Some was long-lost, good stuff, stuff that has amazingly good memories attached to it. Things like good books and photo albums found their way to the built in book cases. And the rest... well some got designated to specific rooms, and some got thrown into a "to sort out later bin".

Anyway, I say that all to say this: I started seeing my heart as much like a house today. He does after all call us his "dwelling place". I've taken care of some of the important rooms, or at least the ones that look important, or get noticed immediately. But I've also had a "dumping room", a place where I put all the "stuff I don't want to deal with just yet". I'm feeling the need to deal with the piles in those rooms of my heart. I think it's time to get rid of the garbage that I've moved from room to room, from season to season, and have still failed to dump. I think it's time to pull out some of the good stuff that's been hidden in the rubble and enjoy it again. I think it's time to get to the stuff that's just been stored for a very long time because it didn't have a place to go, and find room for it. And I think if it's ok with God, I'll allow my self to have a "to sort out later bin", for the stuff I'm not ready to face just yet.

He's good that way. He is so good that when we bring our hearts to Him, He knows exactly what we're ready to "sort out", and He knows that there are times we need the grace of having a "to sort out later bin".