Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Altar

Before the rebuilding of the temple, the altar was rebuilt in the midst of the rubble. (Ezra 3)

The first act of a heart that desires to return from wandering in darkness or to be set free from pain, and to return to real fellowship with God, should be to erect an altar in the midst of the chaos, in the midst of the pain, in the midst of that very failure that created the pile of rubble in the first place! The altar is a symbol of a heart that longs to return to intimacy with God. It is the place where we lay down our independance and welcome His leadership and friendship in our lives. It always involves the sacrifice of worship and praise, which is the acknowledgement of the truth about who God is and who we are not…. “We are not our own, we were bought at a price.”

Our relationship with Him is restored when it is ministered to by the Only One who can meet our needs; when we stop searching after other gods and make our heart an altar for the Living God.

That is why my place in the prayer room is so important. It is the positioning my heart at the altar, and the offering the sacrifice of prayer and worship that allows me to be restored. As I come to Him and declare the truth of who He is and who I am not, He comes and receives the offering of my life; and His heart is moved to love, to heal, and to rebuild the ruins of my life.