Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Two for One

Today John and I had physicals. We found a doctor, mostly just by chance. He's what I would call a "country doc". Not necessarily by locality, but by attribute. He's a straight shooter, been at it a long time, and I'm pretty sure his office furniture has been with him for as long as he's had his license to practice medicine!

He did our physicals simultaeously! Meaning we were in the same room at the same time, and he basically asked a bunch of questions to which we both answered, and then he plopped us up on the exam table "together", checked my ears, then Johns; checked my glands, then Johns; listened to my heart, then John's... you get the picture!

One part of the physical threw us off a bit though. As I got off the table, and he did a balance test on John, he asked me to stand in the corner and jump 50 times. I kid you not! I actually thought, this guys joking, he's asking me that just to see if I'll do it, then he's going to laugh at me, so I said, "Are you serious?" (really folks, I did)... to which he said, "Yes, I am" (he's a stoic, did I mention that... I don't think he smiled once during the whole exam!)

So, I jumped... 50 times, feeling much like an idiot and trying not to laugh (or wet myself- some will understand)... Then he proceeded to take my heart rate again.
Even harder still was watching John complete his "50 jumps" knowing there was much going on inside his head as he did it, and trying not to make eye contact! Really tried not to laugh as John jumped and the doc asks him, "Do you ever have groin pain?"

But....He filled out our paper work though and that's what needed to be done!