Sunday, December 03, 2006

Fighting for My Heart

Matthew 7:3-5
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Why is that so hard...focusing on walking out the pruning of my own heart, and not the hearts of others? I was talking with a wise man some time ago, and he reminded me that the stuff I'm going through now is preparation for the age to come. Although some of the stuff we walk out may have validity and purpose in this age, much of it is for the age to come. If I can learn to walk through trial and hardship with humility and grace in this age, if I can face pain without offense, or at least quickly get that plank out of my eye when offense does rear up, then I will have authority in that area in the age to come!

I had honestly never looked at those verses in that light. If I will in this age, remove the plank in my eye, or set my heart towards living a Sermon on the Mount Lifestyle, then in the age to come I will walk in authority over all I have fought for in this age.

I'm fighting for my heart today. And today the fight seems harder than most! But I am choosing to fix my eyes on the prize.