Saturday, December 23, 2006

Traditions

Tonight we had Christmas with our friends, the Bohlender's. They graciously allowed me to bring "Potato Corn Chowder", a Christmas Eve tradition for our family. Albeit a day early, it seemed right to make it and share this tradition. ("Chowder" for those of you wondering, is the term used to describe a milk based soup.... This comment will only be funny to some, others of you will wonder why I just chose to state the obvious, wonder on!)
In trying to think of a fun "Christmasy" thing to do with the kiddos, I pulled out of my memory bank of childhood memories, the fond memory of making homemade pretzels around my Aunt Alice's kitchen table with my cousins. Pulling out "Aunt Roma's Pretzel Recipe", we set to work and the results were splendid. Photos to come soon!
I also gave John an early Christmas gift tonight. "Trivial Pursuit 80's Edition". If you've followed our blogs, you will understand the significance. We paired up gals against the guys. The game started out slowly, with none of us knowing any answers. I started to wonder if we really did live through the 80's. As the game turned Randy and John seemed to be hand delivered all the EASY questions, leaving them the winners of the night. I, unlike my husband do not retain names of bands, lyrics to songs, name of actors and the list of movies they are famous for... for some reason, trivia just doesn't hang out in this brain. I think I spend most of the 80's with my nose in a book.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. We will attend morning church service, come home for lunch and a brief rest, and then will spend the remainder of our Christmas Eve. this year in the Prayer Room. I cannot think of a better place! We'll end the evening back at home with our own family traditions: the Christmas Eve gift, some quiet family time, putting the kids to bet, and John and I wrapping a few last minute gifts, and stuffing the stockings. We'll set all the gifts under the tree and get to bed, most likely much too late!

This is a year of enjoying the family traditions of the past and adding a few new ones! I love the newness of this particular Christmas.